Here’s a recipe that will make you a hit at your next party. These meatballs are tasty and not that hard to make. I made them for a family gathering and they were a huge hit. I was disappointed there weren’t any left overs. The recipe calls for Sweet Pickle Relish and Dry Mustard. Some of the people in my family do not like one or both of these items. Remember, cooking isn’t just following the recipe, it making things that people will eat. I didn’t add these items and they were awesome just the same. You could substitute frozen meatballs but the sauce would be too runny. Besides, get in there and get your hands working.
Great recipe to start and then go on to make other things while they become delicious in the crock pot.
For the Meatballs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
For the Sauce
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cans tomato paste (12 ounces total)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Combine meatball ingredients and mix well. Shape into meatballs and brown in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Add all sauce ingredients to crock pot and stir well. Add meatballs and cook, covered, on low for 5 to 6 hours (high for 2 to 3).
- Serve as a main dish with rice or potatoes, or serve as an appetizer from the slow cooker. Makes about 60 meatballs.