- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary , chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 5/24 pounds potatoes , Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme , chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground sausage (I use Jimmy Dean pork sausage)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 1 carrots , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese , for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make mashed potatoes: Add potatoes to a saucepan with 3 inches of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Drain the water and leave the potatoes in the pot. Cover with the lid and allow to steam for a few minutes.
- Mash the potatoes lightly with a potato masher (avoid over-mixing the potatoes). Add butter, sour cream, milk, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper and stir just until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the meat filling: In a large, oven-safe* 12 inch skillet with sides, add the ground beef and ground sausage (or ground lamb, to make shepherd\'s pie). Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until browned, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain some of the grease (reserving some in the pan) and remove meat to a plate.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots to the pan and saute for about 5-8 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and flour and toss to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and bay leaves and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and add extra seasonings, if needed. Remove bay leaves and stir in frozen peas, corn and cooked meat.
- Assemble the pie: Spoon the mashed potatoes over the meat mixture to completely cover the top. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving, to allow the gravy sauce in the meat mixture to cool and thicken.